Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Who Are Our Role Models?

I recently gave a leadership lecture at the Rocky Mountain Dental Convention.  In one key part, I ask the audience to identify who inspires them. Who are your role models?

For me, it had been Lance Armstrong for many years.  I am an avid cyclist and I never missed a stage of the Tour de France - either live stream on the internet or on tv.  In fact, I remember watching late night recaps on ESPN during the Greg LeMond era - before it was really popular.  When Lance came along, I was hooked onto the entire phenomena.

I also have contributed to LIVESTRONG both through donations as well as spirit.

For years I have been defending Lance Armstrong.  He claimed to ride clean, and more importantly, he gave inspiration to the many afflicted with cancer.

I heard him speak once.  He was challenged by his oncologist after his cancer surgery/treatment that when he left the hospital, he could take one of two paths forward: 1. He can go on with his life and keep his cancer experience privately behind him, or 2. he could accept the challenge of the "obligation of the cured" - a mission to help those who are directly or indirectly suffering from the disease.

He obviously chose the second path.

That is what was most inspiring to me about Lance.

So now he comes out about his performance enhancing drug use.  The rumors were true.  I watched the Oprah interview. I felt let down by him.  He admitted his wrongdoings, but his body language showed very little remorse.  To live with that lie for so long must have been killing him spiritually.  He believed the lie, he believed the media hype.  He has a long road to redemption.

He has hurt a lot of people.  He has a lifetime of amends to make.  Hopefully he will dedicate the rest of his time here trying to right his wrongs.

But he is human!  We all make mistakes, no one is perfect.  I know I made my fair share, and I am sure I will make more as time goes forward.

Charles Barkley said in the 80's, "I am not a role model!"  It was very controversial at the time, but how true his words were. Here is a video from that era.

"I am not a role model"

He then goes on to say, "Parents should be role models" - Amen to that!  We shouldn't listen to the media on who should be our role models.  Our role models (whether we know it our not) have been with us all along the way.  They are our parents, our families, our teachers, our coaches, our friends, our colleagues, etc.

Take the time to identify them and thank them.  Then pay it forward!

I forgive Lance Armstrong for his transgressions.  At this point, I don't trust him - but I forgive him.  Consistent action towards change and amends will be the determining factor for trust from me.

That's what I am rooting for....

Here is a video from the late George Carlin on Lance Armstrong/role models that drives home my point. Warning: It contains some pretty foul language

George Carlin on Lance Armstrong


No comments:

Post a Comment