Friday, April 19, 2013

The Spirituality of TEDMED 2013

My Badge


TEDMED ended this afternoon.  It has taken me a little time to unwind so I can make an attempt at articulating what I have experienced over these past few days.  I cannot lie, it is really difficult to illustrate.  I am hoping that some of the videos are available soon, so I can "wow" you like they "wowed" me.

Each talk that we witnessed resonated with us logically.  We sat in our chairs in the Kennedy Center and watched these amazing presentations and performances.  Some resonated more with me, some resonated more with my friends that I met here.

Everyone that I met was excited to be a part of the TEDMED community.  Everyone had their reasons for attending. I really wasn't sure what mine was - there were only 2 dentists out of the 1800 or so people. I have watched numerous TED talks and even attended a TEDx event in Boulder last summer.  I guess I was looking to be inspired by a different mindset of people.

Since the people here were some of the most intelligent that I have ever been around, I figured that science and logic would rule the roost.  The science and logic is all explainable.  We all shook our heads in agreement, thinking, "Why didn't I think of that?"

The inspiration for these "out of the box" thinkers and doers is also explainable.  Something happened to them, their communities, their patients, etc., to catalyze a change in their path.

Inspiration is one thing, but where did the passion come from?

What made these mensa club members drop everything and modify their trajectory?  How did they get the courage to step off their path and enter into the unknown?

It was mentioned that it is completely illogical to innovate - as there is no data that can be relied upon when you are innovating.  An innovator is forging a new frontier -  and trust me we saw new frontiers with every presentation.  These passionate innovators

Their innovation took courage, intelligence, and a never quitting passion.  There is no logic to explain this other than synchronicity - or devine intervention.

Carl Jung described four dimensions of consciousness.  Time, space, causation and synchronicity. Time and space are obviously defined.  Causation is a series of related events that explain a certain result.  Synchronicity is a series of unrelated events that are unexpectedly tied together to explain a certain result.

The only explanation that ties these events together is  - Spirituality, Karma, God, Yoda, The Great Pumpkin, etc.

It wasn't until the very end of the conference that the word spirituality was even mentioned.  There is no logic here.  Logic lies in the brain.  Spirituality lives in the heart. This is where the power source for the passion, the inspiration, and the courage is continuously fueled.  No logical explanation here, only synchronistical explanations.

The presenters that so graciously shared with us are changing the world.  They are changing the health of their communities.  Their passion is inspiring our passion. And now, our passion is being shared with our communities.

Everyone has unique gifts.  It is our obligation to share these unique gifts with the world - whatever they may be.  However small or big, it is our obligation.

Synchronicity will prevail and we will all be as "wowed" as I am now.

TEDMED - A synchronistic blend of art and science


More to follow!

(See www.TEDMED.com for more information)



No comments:

Post a Comment