Thursday, August 22, 2013

Case study - Addressing Jaw (TMJ) Problems to a Wonderful New Smile with Veneers and Crowns.

I haven't blogged in a while....My patient care coordinator Monique asked why?

"I haven't been inspired to write lately!"

She said, "Why don't you share some of the smiles that we have improved?  They are life changing!"

I thought about it for a moment...""Not a bad idea!"

So here it goes.....

This particular patient of mine presented with jaw pain after a car accident.  He had many broken bones and chipped teeth. He went through many surgeries and has healed up nicely.

I treat a lot of patients with jaw pain.  I enjoy it - When I was in dental school, we were taught to do bite splint therapy. If they don't get better, send them to their psychiatrist as they are crazy.  I didn't buy that as I had a history of jaw problems and I wasn't crazy...

I spent many years after dental school taking classes on how to treat patients comprehensively -and this included the orthopedic treatment of the jaw and how it relates to the bite. By following some of these protocols, I am now able to treat a wide variety of dental issues predictably.

So we started with bite therapy that included various types of splints over two years to allow the jaw to heal. As his jaw healed and then stabilized, we started discussions on idealizing his bite.  He didn't present with esthetic concerns, but as we got to know each other through his treatment, he revealed to me that his front teeth chipped during the accident.

Adding length to the front teeth without addressing the function could be a very risky procedure.  The length of the front teeth could affect how one chew's food, how one grinds their teeth and also could affect how one speaks.

If the increased length interferes with the normal jaw movements or grinding patterns, the restorations are at high risk to break. It could affect the jaw muscles or one could develop headaches.  Teeth that are too long will compromise the 's', 'f', and 'v' sounds - giving the patient speech impediments.  They must also fit the features of the face to look as natural possible.

If any of these factors are not addressed, the results could be devastating.

Fig. 1 - Multiple short and chipped teeth
As part of idealizing his bite, we were able to add length and repair the smile within the harmony of his function.

Here is the after photo.

Fig. 2 -Restored smile with veneers and crowns

Happy patient.  He admits to me that he was very self conscious with his smile prior to the restorations.  Now he smiles confidently and most important, he is comfortable!






No comments:

Post a Comment